“Once you stop learning, you start dying.” ~Albert Einstein.
Learning doesn’t stop with school and doesn’t end with age. Books are great resources for challenging ourselves, but life’s experiences have a way of teaching if we are listening. Here are some of the things I’ve learned — or re-learned or been reminded of — so far this year.
- Some people are comfortable where there are.
- God hasn’t moved. If anyone has moved, it’s you and me.
- Sometimes waiting for your ship to come in doesn’t work best. Sometimes, you have to swim out to meet your ship.
- It’s all about being in the right place with the right people at the right time.
- Show me someone who is struggling, and I’ll show you someone who isn’t being authentic.
- The mind of a person plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps. (Proverbs 16:9).
- Life interrupts, and it doesn’t ask permission.
- Who you are is more important than what you do.
- Friends are underrated. If you have them, nurture those relationships. If you don’t, get them in your life today.
- Maybe other people aren’t the ones who’ve changed.
- Do something today that will live on forever.
- Skills and talents are great, but your passions, principles and values are who you are.
- Starve your distractions, feed your focus.
- I’d rather do something uncomfortable for a couple of months than live in regret for the next 10 years.
- Still true: If you try to chase two rabbits, you won’t catch either one!
- Still very true: Go where the peace is.
- Profound: Winners and losers have the same goals. (Atomic Habits).
- Old beliefs won’t lead you to new cheese.
- Sometimes a question is better than a solution.
- The real question: What is the problem you are trying to solve?
- The most valuable gift you have to give is yourself. (The Go-Giver).
- I’m becoming more like my dad every day, and I’m okay with that.
- We have today. We aren’t going back to the old normal, and I don’t know the new normal.
- Oldie but goodie: Keep the main thing the main thing.
- All my life, you have been faithful, and all my life, you have been so, so good. (Goodness of God, Bethel Music).
Wondering what you may have learned this year? Leave your thoughts in the comments.