You can get more from the Table of Contents of some books than if you read others from cover to cover. Well, that’s my story at least.
I’ve been known to read the TOC and then write about it! Yeah, just the TOC. Or get inspired by it. Or jump to a particular chapter first if the chapter title is compelling or entertaining. Here are several title chapters for you to ponder and consider. Some are deep, some are declarative. For others, you may just have to read the section to get the full meaning of the title, so I’ve listed the chapter and book if you’d like to follow up.
There’s some gold in those chapter titles. Enjoy, read ’em again if you have to, then ponder and think on ’em.
- You can do more than you think. Chapter 5, Born to Win, Zig Ziglar.
- Discouragement Destroys Everything. Chapter 3, Hope Quotient, Ray Johnston.
- If you continue to do what’s right, what’s wrong and who’s wrong will eventually leave your life. Chapter 17, You’re Born an Original, Don’t Die a Copy, John Mason.
- Playing it safe is Risky. Chapter 6, In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day, Mark Batterson.
- When the Needle Points to Empty. Chapter 1, Leading on Empty, Wayne Cordeiro.
- Question the Acceptance of Popular Thinking. Skill 8, Thinking for a Change, John Maxwell.
- Success Leaves Clues. Chapter 3, The One Thing, Gary Keller.
- That Which Goeth Up and Up and Up Doth Not Goeth Up More Up and More Up and More Up Forever and Ever and Ever. Chapter 9, The Little Big Things, Tom Peters.
- Does Satan Discuss You with His Imps? Chapter 3, CHAMPIONS: Developing the Man Within, Chip Bailey
- Looking in all the Wrong Places. Chapter 7, Inside Out, Dr. Larry Crabb.
- An Army of Sheep led by a lion would defeat an army of lions led by a sheep. Nugget #62, An Enemy Called Average, John Mason.
- The Brain: A Broadcasting and Receiving Station for Thought. Chapter 13, Think and Grow Rich, Napoleon Hill.
- You are not an Accident. Chapter 2, The Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren.
- You can’t win an argument. Part 3, Section 1, How to Win Friends and Influence People, Zig Ziglar.
- Serving Leftovers to a Holy God. Chapter 5, Crazy Love, Francis Chan.
- How Could This Happen to Me? Chapter 3, The Bait of Satan, John Bevere.
- Don’t be too big to do something small. Chapter 15, Cure for the Common Life, Max Lucado.
- Fear and worry are interest paid in advance on something you may never own. Nugget #17, An Enemy Called Average, John Mason.
- Eventually You’ve Got to Get to the Giraffes. Chapter 7, Fear No Evil, Brady Boyd.
- God Makes Sense Even When He Doesn’t Make Sense. Chapter 3, When God Doesn’t Make Sense, James Dobson.
- It Didn’t Begin Yesterday. Chapter 3, Debt-Free Living, Larry Burkett.
- Fight to the Finish! Chapter 11, The Great Compromise, Greg Laurie.
- Sacred Cows Make the Best Burgers. Chapter 9, If It Ain’t Broke, Break It! Robert J. Kriegel.
Some of these you could preach or write on just as easy as I could. If you find one that makes you think, challenges or inspires you, take it and run with it! It’s all in the Table of Contents and from there, you can go anywhere!