Your tongue can get you into a lot of trouble! It already has, hasn’t it? So, are you ready to use your tongue to break into some success and happiness?
Successful leaders and many scriptures throughout the Bible caution us about our words. Those quotes and scriptures proclaim that our words determine our future, that we can create our destiny. Indeed, many would say if you say it, you can have it!
No, this is not a name-it-and-claim-it adventure, but it is about changing your life by changing your words. Want to change the direction of your life? Change your words.
Friends, we live in a cause and effect world. There are consequences, either good or bad, for the things we put into action. And in the world of words, what you say makes an enormous difference. It’s the difference between life and death, between victory and defeat, between success and failure.
Note this: There isn’t one quote, one scripture or one piece of competent instruction from any leader, theologian, historian or professor that you can show me that says your words don’t matter. Not one. Nada. Zilch. The evidence is overwhelming. It’s the original shutout!
Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof. Proverbs 18:21
Your. Words. Matter. They determine the very course of your life. They will keep you in the rut or lead you to great success and happiness. In many ways, you are your own prophet. Not getting spiritual on you here, but you can determine your future with the words you speak. Seriously, why would you continue in negativity?
Studies show that people speak about 7,000 words on average each day. Yes, some of you talk a lot more than that, no names, please! How many of those words were necessary and how many were employed doing something positive. On the other hand, how many were spoken that brought negative results?
Your words should be engaged in action, with an intended purpose. Unfortunately, every single word is employed, and they all provide some sort of “income” to our lives.
Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. James 3:4-5 (NIV).
Your words are like the rudder of the ship, determining the direction of your life and your actions. Think about that! Which way is your tongue directing the ship that is your life?
So here is the challenge. Change the negative speak to positive speak. Give it 90 days and watch the paradigm shift. Heck, give it one week and notice the change. Here are some areas you can modify immediately.
- Don’t talk about your sickness, speak about your health and well-being.
- Don’t talk about the finances you don’t have, speak about (be grateful for) the finances you have now (your blessings) or how you expect more in the future.
- Don’t talk resentfully or jealously about your friends, speak life about them.
- Don’t talk negatively about your kids, speak positively about their outcomes.
- Don’t talk skeptically about your job, speak excitedly about your work possibilities.
- Finally, don’t post pessimistic wild stuff on Facebook, be positive and inspire people. POST RESPONSIBLY!
This assignment may be the most difficult you undertake. Too often, words slip out of your mouth before you even notice, so it will take deliberate, calculated, intentional work on your part. Believe me, you will fail! But repeated effort will pay off, one word at a time.
It’s worth it! Take it from the experts who have experienced and practiced it over centuries and even thousands of years. Just like yesterday’s exercise, write down some positive thoughts you can speak out about your life, friends, family and situations. Tape them to your mirror, your refrigerator, keep them in your pocket and use them as a bookmark.
When you get down to it, it’s all about change. That, my friend, is up to you!
Thoughts from the people who have been there.
- Words are containers for power, you choose what kind of power they carry. ~Joyce Meyer.
- Throughout human history, our greatest leaders and thinkers have used the power of words to transform our emotions, to enlist us in their causes, and to shape the course of destiny. Words can not only create emotions, they create actions. And from our actions flow the results of our lives. ~Tony Robbins
- I am, two of the most powerful words. For what you put after them shapes your reality. ~Joel Osteen
- There is power in words. What you say is what you get. Zig Ziglar
- Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another. ~Napoleon Hill
- The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter. ’tis the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. ~Mark Twain.