Dr. John W. Bosman is the founder and president of SpiritWind International, a transdenominational, transcultural, international ministry, embracing the essence of building unity in the Body of Christ and facilitating the restoration of the five-fold ministry in the Church.
For more than 30 years, John has consistently been teaching pastors and church leaders principles of leadership, church growth, effective administration, and other related topics. The thrust of his teaching ministry is to bring back into focus the Scriptural role of the pastor: the necessity of equipping their people for ministry.
He was gracious enough today to answer some of our questions regarding the coronavirus and how it impacts the church, Christians and Americans.
John is married to Anne (also an ordained minister), have two sons, John & Jayce, and five grandsons.
- How has the coronavirus event changed life for you and Sister B?
Like everyone else, it has changed so much for us. Since we travel very often to churches across the nation, it feels strange to not go anywhere. You almost feel guilty for not being involved in some event somewhere. We were supposed to travel the Hawaiian Islands (Dr. James Marocco’s Network) starting in the middle of April – but that also has been cancelled. Now our weekends remain open through June (beyond?) We’ve never been here before! No travel; no income! But God is our Provider. He has never failed us and is not going to start now!
2. We are obviously experiencing end times events, have been for some time. Where does this coronavirus event fall into that timeline?
There is no direct correlation between COVID-19 and end times. There is no clear occasion in the Bible you can connect with it. Matthew 24 and Luke 21 certainly talk about pestilences (among other things), which is in line with this present-day virus, serving as a prelude to what is to come in the future.
The wider perspective I see are the financial implications. There is most likely going to be a larger fallout in the financial world than the medical. I see this as a precursor to the Anti-Christ.
3. The Bible says that we are not to forsake the assembling together, yet these are perilous and unusual times. Many churches declare their “rights” and continue to meet, despite calls from governors and other leaders to not congregate in large numbers. What would you say to those churches and pastors?
The Bible is clear regarding obeying the authorities that have been placed over us. Also, we have learnt in the Word that “obedience is better than sacrifice” (Psalm 30:5). When you dig in your heels and deliberately go against the instructions of wisdom, you are moving across to rebellion – which is like the sin of witchcraft (1 Samuel 15:23). Let the attitude of Christ prevail in all we do.
4. In the past, when we have had major events, we heard many church leaders talking about the end times. Those voices seem to have waned with this event. Where have they gone?
The main reason why there is not much being said about this particular event and the end times, is because there is no “anchor” to hook it on in Biblical Prophecy. Sure, there are going to be pestilences and viruses, and all kinds of diseases in the end time – severe calamities. But all of that is going to transpire after the rapture of the Church. After the Seals are opened, the Apocalyptic Four Horses will be released. One of them will be called the Pale Horse, which is to spread vicious and fatal diseases. Amazing as it may seem, the diseases released by the Pale Horse will be coming from animals. What we are experiencing now is a forerunner of what is to come.
5. We have reached a point in America where it’s challenging to have a civil conversation about politics, the state of the world, religion or other matters. Everyone wants to scream and yell at each other, rather than try to pull together. What is the problem and what is the difference in today and 25-30 years ago?
The one thing that has dramatically changed over the past two or three decades is the effect of media. It is easier to spread influence, quicker now, than ever before. Unfortunately, the negative has become the dominating message of the news that is covering the earth with hate and division. It is pitting brother against brother, and friend against friend. It is releasing a spirit of anger and resistance. This too, I believe, is a forerunner of what is to come during the end times.
6. You train pastors around the world and you see trends and direction, but we may be about to witness some of the greatest changes to civilization in quite some time. After every major event, there are always changes in society. How will this particular event change the church? Specifically, what changes do you see for the church and what might the church look like going forward?
There is no question in my mind that this pandemic is going to change us. It’s going to form a new generation of people with stronger resilience and elevated courage. It’s also going to release greater innovation and amazing entrepreneurship. This pandemic will transform who we are. The Church, for sure, is going to come out stronger and more flexible. Personally, I am convinced we are going to see a needed Great Awakening.
7. What do you say to new, young – or even shallow — Christians about what we are going through now who might wonder why God allows bad things to happen to believers?
First, I want to say that I am one of those who do not believe that God makes people sick or send diseases upon them to teach them a lesson. The Bible says, God is a Healer. But, secondly, do remember, we are living in a cursed world, caused by rebellious people. Because of the state of humankind, all classes of evil and nasty things are released, which cause the dilemmas we face. That is why God will eventually create a New Earth with every curse and evil removed. (Also read Matthew 5:45)
8. What one scripture most often comes to your mind about where we are and what we are experiencing today?
If you make the Lord your refuge, if you make the Most High your shelter, no evil will conquer you; no plague will come near your home. For He will order his angels to protect you wherever you go (Psalms 91:9-11).
For more information on Pastor Bosman’s ministry, go to Spiritwind Ministries or email Pastor Bosman at firstname.lastname@example.org.